UVJagt på helleflynder i Norge! Vol.2

Og her kommer så anden del! God læse lyst! 🙂

PS. Jeg lover i inden året er gået, kan læse og min egen tur til Norge! Det skal bare prøves…

… I decided I’d had my fill for the day and settled for some rod and line fishing and some much needed coffee and cookies. I must have had my fill of luck for the day as well; nothing turned up on my rod. My buddy on the other hand landed a decent size fish at roughly 20 kg after a few hours. He even went on to catch one more fish; a barely legal one that he put back since we really had no need for any more.

The next day we were at it again and this was going to be a non-stop diving day. We’d picked up another friend and planned to rotate all throughout the day: two guys in the water and one in the boat.

Suiting up in a decent location.

That day we hit lots of different spots and I must have been in the water at least 4 hours covering all kinds of bottom: sand, rocks, kelp and all of the above combined. For some reason, pretty much the only spot we didn’t visit that day was where I’d shot the fish the day before… Despite our efforts, we didn’t see a single fish all day. However, a little reward for our efforts did appear at the end of the day as our third crew member hooked and landed a fish at just over 90 cm, probably weighing just below 10 kg. He was very happy and went home that day with some nice fillets for supper, and then some.

Day three it was down to me and my buddy again. We decided to go back to the area where I’d shot the fish the first day. The conditions were pretty much the same as before: calm seas and 10-12 meter visibility. This day a pack of harbor seals had moved in on some of the adjacent islets and they were carefully monitoring my presence in the water, peaking up behind me and following me where ever I went. None of them ever got close enough for me to get a glance at them under the surface, but I felt as I was being watched all the time…

I started making my way to the approximate area where I’d found the fish two days earlier, passing kelp beds, schools of small coalfish/saithe and occasionally diving down to look for the giants. After a few minutes of swimming I passed through a narrow passage between two rocks and the kelp and bedrock parted to reveal flat sandy bottom ahead at 10-15 meter depth. Perfect! I was barely able to make out details/outlines on the bottom from the surface, so I kept on alternating between surface swimming and diving down to hover above the bottom for a better look. I’d been at that routine for some time and was swimming a few meters off the bottom when I spotted it a few meters to my right. The halibut was, as usual, sitting dead quiet on the bottom attempting to be as inconspicuous as possible for an animal of its’ size and had almost managed to elude my attention. It was facing me and seemed to be following my every move as I turned and swam towards it. As I kicked further off the bottom a little I took aim for the middle of the head and fired. As before, the spear hit its mark perfectly. As I was drifting up I was watching the halibut closely, waiting for it to bolt, but all it did was flap about like a giant version of a tiny flounder pinned to the sand by the spear. It seemed almost stunned, maybe somewhat disabled from the impact with the spear. I yelled out for my buddy in the boat and started pulling the small “brake” float up the float line to get it closer to the fish in case it decided it had had enough of flapping about

As I lifted the fish off the bottom it was just as quiet as before and I managed to pull it all the way up to the start of the shooting line without it putting up any resistance. It was simply hanging mid water, suspended from the “tomb stoned” brake float. When my buddy arrived with the boat he handed me my flopperless shaft and I made my way down to make the kill shot. I attempted to video it with a camera in my left hand, which was a bad idea: Turns out equalizing with your left hand is difficult with a camera in it

I botched the filming attempt but seemed to get a well placed kill shot. However, the fish didn’t do the characteristic “shake of death” so I went back for a second and third try to be sure. That seemed to do the trick and finally the fish was ready to be brought up. When I got it to the surface my buddy helped me tie it to the side of the boat for a photo shoot.

We measured it to 135 cm, corresponding to ca 33 kg. Judging by the condition of the fish it was probably closer to 40 than 35 kg.

It was fat and I was happy!

Three attempts and many years of dreaming. Finally it all came together on this one trip! Now I guess what’s left is to get one bigger than the Norwegian record. I’ll be sure to let you guys know if it ever happens!

0 replies

Skriv en kommentar

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!

Skriv et svar

Din e-mailadresse vil ikke blive publiceret. Krævede felter er markeret med *